Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Gladness and Simplicity of Heart + Garlic & Almond Green Beans Recipe

"And every day they devoted themselves to meeting together...and broke bread from house to house. They ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart, praising God and having favor with all the people.  And every day the Lord added to them those who were being saved."
Acts 2:46-47

        My church's new sermon series is on the book of Acts in the Bible.  Our pastor suggested that we read Acts at home as we're going along in the series.  I decided to read one chapter per day, and although I'm only on chapter 2, it has already spoken to me so much. Sunday's sermon was on hospitality.  Our pastor asked the congregation to describe hospitality.  Various answers were called out: "openness," "welcoming," "sharing," etc...  Although these words define "hospitality," our pastor said he believes our biggest hindrance to being hospitable is time.

        As I was reading Acts chapter 2 this morning,  I came to the verses at the end of the chapter (46 and 47- quoted above.) After Jesus had ascended into Heaven, the followers of Jesus began meeting together in each others' homes ("broke bread from house to house") It says, "They ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart, praising God and having favor with all the people."  This really reminded me of the importance of taking time to "break bread" with friends and family.  How often do we take time to eat our food with gladness?

       This got me thinking about why I love this blog so much.  I think it gives us all a chance to be hospitable in a way.  We live in all different parts of the world, yet we share pictures and recipes "from house to house", and come around this "table," and get a chance to "talk."  It really does bring me gladness to share healthy recipes, and to receive them from you.

       I especially love sharing recipes in the summer, when everything is fresh and there are so many possibilities. Last night, I gathered my farmers' market purchases and made some Garlic and Almond Green Beans.  This was an easy vegan recipe, so I thought I'd share!


Garlic and Almond Green Beans

Ingredients:
  • Enough green beans for your family
  • A few small red potatoes (I used 3 for 2 people.)
  • 2 or 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
  • A handful of almond slices
  • 1 green onion, sliced
  • 3 tbsp.vegan butter (Earth Balance brand)
  • Salt and pepper
Step 1: After cleaning your beans and cutting your potatoes into chunks, put them in a pot of salty boiling water, and cook for about 10 minutes, until the potatoes are done. Don't cook the green beans completely.  They should still be slightly crisp.

Step 2: Meanwhile, on another burner, melt some vegan butter on low heat in a large pan, and saute the garlic and green onions.

Step 3: Once the potatoes and green beans finish cooking, drain them, and add them to the pan of garlicky butter.  Saute for a few minutes on medium heat until the green beans are cooked through.

Step 4: Sprinkle with almond slices, salt and pepper, and serve!

I hope you like them! We sure did!

Thank you for gathering around this "table" with me.  I was looking back at Acts chapter 2, verse 46 and was thinking, "What does 'simplicity of heart' mean?"  I interpreted it to mean that they gathered to eat without an agenda, just simply to enjoy each others' company. But, I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments!



No comments: