Sunday, February 22, 2015

Banana Oat Chocolate Chip Cookies | Gluten Free | Dairy Free


If you've read some of my recent posts, you know that I've been trying to get healthy by cutting out gluten, dairy, processed foods, and added sugar from my diet.  Cutting out sugar has been the hardest for me.  I've definitely had sugar cravings and headaches.  I've realized that this is going to take time.

It's been so cold and snowy, and we're expecting freezing rain in the morning.  Cold weather always puts me in the mood for cookies!  I decided to make some gluten-free and dairy-free chocolate chip cookies today.  While the chocolate chips do have cane sugar, the dough itself does not have any added sugar at all.  I think this is a step in the right direction.

If you're like me, and you want to settle in and watch the Oscars tonight with a healthy cookie, I'll post the recipe below.


Banana Oat Chocolate Chip Cookies | Gluten Free | Dairy Free

Makes approximately 24 cookies

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Ingredients:
  • 3 over-ripe bananas
  • 1/3 cup applesauce with no added sugar 
  • 2 cups of gluten-free oats
  • 1/4 cup almond milk
  • 1/2 cup "Enjoy Life" brand Mini Chips (These are dairy, nut, soy, and gluten-free.)
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/4 tsp. sea salt
  • 1/3 cup of chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
Step 1:
Pulverize your oats in a food processor until they're a flour-like consistency.

Step 2:
Mash your over-ripe bananas in a bowl with a fork, or you can pulse them in a food processor.

Step 3:
Stir all of the ingredients together in a medium-sized mixing bowl.

Step 4:
Spoon rounded tablespoon fulls of dough onto a greased cookie sheet, or one lined with silpat.  Press them down to form a cookie shape.

Step 5:
Bake on 350 degrees for 10 minutes.  Cookies will be chewy and slightly sweet.

Next time, I might add a teaspoon of cinnamon to the dough!

Side note: Oats are naturally gluten-free.  However, some are processed on equipment that also processes wheat/gluten, and therefore cannot be labeled "gluten-free."  So, unless you have Celiac Disease, any oats are fine.

If you make these, or other healthy cookies, I would love for you to tag me on Instagram or Twitter.
@littlemissveg



No comments: