Friday, April 25, 2014

Vegetarian Dining Guide for Baltimore and Washington, D.C.

My husband and I have been to Washington D.C. many times, but never at just the right time to see the Cherry Blossoms.  We decided to take a Spring Break trip to Baltimore and Washington, D.C. about two weeks ago.  As you can see from my first photo, the Cherry Blossoms were definitely in full bloom!  In fact, it was snowing Cherry Blossom petals!


Of course, a lot of our vacations revolve around food. We like to eat! I thought I'd put together a list of restaurants where you can find vegetarian or vegan food in the Baltimore/D.C. area.

527 N Charles St, Baltimore, MD 21201

You can tell by the decor that Style Magazine was right to call this place "drop dead sexy."  This is a perfect restaurant for vegans and vegetarians.  They have huge salads!  You choose the ingredients, and they pile them on a cutting board (including the dressing), and chop them with a mezzaluna. The employees were very nice.  And since I didn't care for meat on my salad, they let me choose an extra veggie! The weather was perfect, and we sat outside at one of their cute patio tables.



221 S. High Street. Baltimore, MD

Isabella's will always have a special place in my heart, not just because they have amazing pizza, but because I met new friends there who taught me how to play Bocce Ball in the alley behind the restaurant.  The Magherita pizza was one of the best pizzas I've ever had.  We just sat outside on a bench, and ate it right off the pan.  This is one place I hope to visit again...and soon!




I had a lot of delicious food in D.C., also.  I had heard so much about Georgetown Cupcakes, and I really wanted to try one!  We got there and the line was down. the. street. No thank you! So we ate here instead:

3423 M St. NW
Washington, DC 20007

I am so much more a pie lover than a cake lover.  I was so excited when we found Pie Sisters.  They have the cutest little pie cups called "cuppies." I had a cherry pie cuppy, and boy was it good! 
 



4. Gloria's Pupuseria
3411 14th St NW, Washington, DC 20010

My husband found this restaurant, and I'm so glad he did!  Gloria's is a tiny hole-in-the-wall restaurant, with the most delicious Pupusas!  Pupusas are El Salvadoran corn cakes filled with beans and cheese.  They were served a cabbage slaw that was topped with salsa.  It was the perfect combination and a light lunch!



The next two restaurants were recommended to me by Leslie Durso

2021 14th St, NW
Washington, D.C. 20009

Busboys and Poets is a trendy, loud, and busy restaurant/bookstore, where you can eat your lunch on a couch.  It was a fun place to eat!  I had an Avocado and Havarti sandwich.  This place offers plenty of vegan and vegetarian options!




Treats from Sticky Fingers are vegan and contain healthier ingredients than most sweets.  I love that they list all of their ingredients on their website. They are also 2x winners of the show Cupcake Wars. My chocolate brownie was so thick and chewy and good.  And of course, I loved the little Cherry Blossom on top!

 

7. Bistro Bohem
600 Florida Ave NW
Washington DC 20001

We stopped at Bistro Bohem for breakfast one morning.  I'm a tea lover, so I had a little pot of Lemon-Vanilla tea with my croissant.  Ahhh, the tea was so good! Bistro Bohem, if you're reading, will you please share what brand of tea you serve?

Our breakfast was so good and the atmosphere was so pleasant, we went back for dinner that night!
We had delicious Pierogie with a cheese and paprika sauce, and a side of sauerkraut.  Oh my gosh, was that sauerkraut good!  I even love the neighborhood this restaurant is in.  We sat out on the patio, where they had blankets in case it got cold. 

If you want to see what I had for dessert at Bistro Bohem, follow me on Instagram, where I posted a picture! @artoveandtea

Picture taken on my phone.  I loved the teapot!



The whole trip was so relaxing and fun!  We did a lot of eating.  Good thing I also did a lot of bike riding!


Thanks for reading!  Don't forget, if you don't want to miss a post, you can have them sent directly to your email inbox.  Just type your email address in the box on the right sidebar of my blog page.

You can also follow me (and your other favorite bloggers) on Bloglovin.  I personally use Bloglovin to keep up with all my favorite blogs.  New posts show up in a feed, and I have my own personal reading list.  I love it!

Which of these restaurants do you think you'd like to try? Let me know in the comments below!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post and pictures! All that food looks delicious!