Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Chocolatey Anti-Aging Energy Bites

I saw something like this on Pinterest and had to make them!  All you need is chocolate to melt, a bag of trail mix, and some wax paper.  I think the idea is to use dark chocolate because it's rich in antioxidants. Antioxidants help prevent cancer and slow the signs of aging.  Here's a link to all the great health benefits of dark chocolate! It is also usually vegan.

I recently read that if you're craving chocolate, your body is really craving magnesium.  So, you should eat raw nut and seeds, legumes, and fruit.

These literally took me less than 10 minutes to make!  If you need a quick, healthy snack to help satisfy your sweet tooth and give you energy at the same time, these are for you! They would be a cute party snack, too!




Since I didn't plan to make these, I used ingredients I already had in my kitchen.  A bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips from Trader Joe's.  These do not contain milk fat, so they're vegan.  They're also gluten free.  I had different bags of nuts and dried cranberries.  So, here's a list of what I used: semi-sweet chocolate, cashews, pistachios, peanuts, granola, and orange flavored dried cranberries.

All you do is melt the chocolate in the microwave.  Start with 30 seconds, and then do an additional 10-15 seconds as needed.  You don't want to burn the chocolate.  On a sheet of wax paper, make melted chocolate circles with a spoon.  They don't have to be perfect.  Place your pieces of trail mix into the melted chocolate.  Let cool for an hour.  You might want to put them in the refrigerator.  I let mine cool on the counter overnight, and the chocolate was still slightly soft.  It's just because it's summer and the house isn't as cool.

I made 15 of these with about a half a bag of chocolate chips.  You could probably make more if you make a thinner layer of chocolate.

I hope you enjoy!  Someone in my house sure enjoyed them, because there were a few missing when I woke up this morning!

What other combinations of toppings do you think would be good for these?  Please leave a comment below!

Jessica


P.S. Those of you with Google, Twitter, or Yahoo, you can join my page by clicking on "join this site" in the right sidebar. Would you please take a minute to do that?

No comments: