Saturday, June 22, 2013

Are Big Businesses Taking Over Your City?

Happy summer to you! I started off the summer with a trip to our farmers' market.  I just got home from vacation in California.  While I was there, I started realizing that big businesses are taking over America!  Of course I already knew that.  But, to fly all the way from one coast to the other and see the same old stores and restaurants everywhere was really eye opening.  Some places I didn't even realize were national chains. We like to eat at local restaurants when we travel.  One morning we searched and search for somewhere to eat breakfast, and ended up at one of the Denny's that were within a couple miles of each other! It's ridiculous that we ate at Denny's.

Then I came home and went into a Target.  This is something that's bothered me before...the walkie talkies! I really do not like to hear the front end managers hassle the poor cashiers about offering credit cards to the customers.  "It's time to rock and roll, team Target!"  Maybe the Virginia humidity is getting to me, but that makes me sick. Really. And I let Target know!

So, I started thinking about how I really need to be more diligent about eating at locally-owned restaurants and supporting small businesses.  Although, do locally-owned supermarkets even exist?  That's what led me to our farmers' market this morning.  I'm going to try to purchase as many of my groceries as I can from them.  I don't care if it costs a little bit more.  Besides, where else can you shop and also play with a sweet little goat?

I bought the usual things...lettuce, cucumber, cantaloupe, strawberries, and my favorite, tomatoes!  It's that time of year! Tomato sandwiches!!! Don't let your summer go by without having a tomato sandwich!

Basil from my container garden.
My husband also wanted some local honey. It's supposed to really help with seasonal allergies.



Have you noticed big businesses taking over your city? Does the background noise of employee to employee conversations over walkie talkies at Target bug you? Or, do you have some favorite local shops and restaurant? Please share in the comments below! 

If you're receiving this post through email and you'd like to comment, just click on the blue title of this post and you should be linked directly to the blog.  All you have to do is scroll to the bottom of the post and click on "comments."

I can't wait to hear from you!
Jessica



5 comments:

Veggie polyglotographer said...

I live in Lyon, France, and we're still lucky enough to have lots of local markets and restaurants but there are quite a lot of big businesses taking over... It's like half and half. Love tomatoes!

Little Miss Veg said...

Thanks for commenting, Veggie Polyglotographer! I have only been to Paris and it was a dream come true! I would love to see more of France. I am SO glad you still have lots of local markets!!!

Dana Staves said...

I know what you mean, and since moving to California, I've been more diligent about hitting up farmers markets - still no luck on local groceries, but the produce is local, at least. In Hampton Roads, there's a grocery store in the Freemason district of downtown Norfolk called Shady Grove. It's independent, local, and adorable. And you can pop into Cure next door for some delicious coffee.

Little Miss Veg said...

Thanks for letting me know about Shady Grove, Dana! I will definitely have to check it out! How did I not notice it??

Dan said...

I've had a coffee from Cure before!