Tuesday, May 21, 2013

What's Soft, Fluffy, and Sweet? Vegan Blueberry Muffins!

They're vegan and you won't believe they don't contain eggs!  So what's the secret egg replacer? A mashed banana!  These muffins are so soft, fluffy, and sweet! I think I'm going to make another batch and keep them in my freezer!

And, yes, those blueberry muffins are in strawberry print wrappers... They're all I had.




Soft and Fluffy Vegan Blueberry Muffins
(Makes 12 muffins)

Ingredients
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup stone ground whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup organic granulated sugar (I actually used a little less and they were perfect.)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • 1 large banana, mashed (about 1/2 cup)
  • 1/3 cup almond milk (You can use any non-dairy milk.) **
  • 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (I used frozen.)
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease muffin cups or line with muffin liners.
  2. Combine flours, sugars, salt and baking powder. Add in non-dairy milk, banana, and olive oil and stir until just moistened. Fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups 3/4 full.
  3. Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

**This recipe is a variation of another recipe, and I wasn't happy with the consistency of the batter with just 1/3 c. of non-dairy milk.  It was awfully thick.  I would say I added another 1/4 c. or so to the batter.  It was still nice and thick, but a little more fluid.  I would suggest doing this.


They're good with lunch too!


No comments: