Monday, November 19, 2012

Taco Bell-Style Mexican Pizza (Vegetarian)

I ate at Taco Bell pretty often growing up.  I always ordered a Mexican Pizza..."no meat," until it made me deathly ill in college.  Okay, maybe not deathly ill, but pretty sick!  I have not been back since. But, I have missed my Mexican Pizzas!

I decided to try making them at home.  No frying involved and, of course, no meat!  They were really good, so I thought I'd share how I made them.


Vegetarian Mexican Pizzas

Ingredients:
  • Flour tortillas (You can use whole wheat or any kind you like.)
  • Can of refried beans
  • Salsa
  • Mexican blend shredded cheese (Or, use a vegan cheese.)
  • Tomatoes (diced)
  • Green onions (sliced)
  • Black olives (sliced)
  • Hot sauce (I like Cholula.)
Heat the refried beans in the microwave and set aside.

Put the tortillas on the oven rack and broil for a few minutes until lightly browned and crispy.
You need two per pizza.

Spread the warm refried beans over one out of every two tortillas.  Then, stack the tortillas without the beans on top of the ones with beans (like a refried bean sandwich) See picture above.

Spread salsa over the top.  Sprinkle with cheese.  Then top with tomatoes, green onions, and black olives.

Put in the oven on 350 until the cheese melts.

Add a few dashes of hot sauce if you want. Ready to eat!

This is definitely a better alternative to fast food!


No comments: