Monday, September 3, 2012

Football Season & Baked Potatoes

Happy Labor Day! I hope you're all enjoying a day off of work. I know it's not fall just yet, but I sure am getting excited about it! School has started, crunchy leaves are on the sidewalk, pumpkins are out at the grocery store, and my husband is crazy excited about football season!

Speaking of football season, what kind of vegetarian/vegan football snacks are you guys making?

Today we made baked potatoes.  Wouldn't it be fun to invite friends over for football and have a baked potato bar? They can load them with all their favorite toppings!









I scrubbed our baking potatoes really well and poked deep holes in them with a skewer.  I coated them in Earth Balance Buttery Spread (non-dairy) and sprinkled them with salt and pepper. I wrapped them in aluminum foil and baked them at 350 degrees for an hour and 15 minutes (They were pretty big potatoes). We chopped them up on our plates, and these are the toppings we used:

  • Earth Balance Buttery Spread
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Garlic Powder
  • Italian Seasoning
  • A sprinkle of Extra Sharp Cheddar
  • Chopped Green Onions
  • Chopped Broccoli (bought frozen)

"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven..."
Ecclesiastes 3:1

Jessica


1 comment:

Cass @foodmyfriend said...

I have to admit, a little jealous that you had a holiday. Loving this recipe! Potatoes are my absolute favourite ingredient to work with :)