Monday, July 2, 2012

Tomatoes, Okra, and Corn...Oh My!

I went to our farmers market this weekend for one reason, and one reason only: to get a great big tomato for a tomato sandwich!  It's officially summer when I have my first tomato sandwich.

As you can see, I picked up a few other things, as well. Corn, okra, peaches, plums, and a patty pan squash.








My husband and I made our first tomato sandwiches of the summer, and here they are!  We topped them off with some herbs from our little herb garden.  I chose the miniature basil leaves, and he chose fresh dill.




To make a tomato sandwich, all you have to do is toast bread, slather on some mayonnaise (I didn't have any vegan mayo, so I skipped it.), layer on your tomato slices, and sprinkle with lots of salt and pepper (and herbs, if you want).

This past weekend, I posted a picture on facebook of Succotash, that Little Miss Vegetarian reader, Jasmine, from Phoenix, shared. It looked so good, I had to try it myself!  So, I used a few more of my farmers market ingredients.


OUT. OF. THIS. WORLD.  

Jasmine said, "It sounds too simple to be as yummy as it is!"  She was right!  I will definitely be making this again. For those of you who missed it, here are Jasmine's easy instructions for making Succotash:

Put all of the ingredients (tomatoes, corn, and okra) in a saute pan with a pinch of salt. Cook at a gentle heat until the okra is cooked to your liking.

It really is as easy as that, and I hope you'll try it! Thanks, Jasmine!

Don't forget, if YOU have something you'd like me to share on the Little Miss Vegetarian facebook page, send a photo and your recipe to littlemissveg@yahoo.com. I can't wait to hear from you!

Jessica

2 comments:

The Blue Faerie said...

This looks so yummy. I'm heading out to our farmer's market tomorrow, so I think I'll be picking me up some tomato & basil too.

Just found your blog & love your recipes & photos. I'm surprised more people haven't found this!

Jessica said...

Thank you so much! I think more people follow my blog through my facebook page: www.facebook.com/littlemissveg. Please share my blog with your friends! Thanks for your comment!! :)