Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Quinoa-Broccoli Casserole

Broccoli Casserole is my absolute favorite holiday dish! When my husband and I were dating, I took it over to his parents' house for either Thanksgiving or Christmas.  My brother-in-law said how good and cheesy it was, and asked if I used Cheddar.  I said, "Actually it's Cheez Whiz."  All I could hear were GASPS from my future sisters-in-law! I totally had no idea there was anything wrong with Cheez Whiz. I grew up eating it in Broccoli Casserole at family gatherings.

Since then, I have found healthy ways of making it.  But, I was especially excited when I found this version of it, using Quinoa.  It is delicious! My husband and I scarfed it down!



I followed the recipe linked above, but here are some changes I made:
  • I used "Imagine" brand Creamy Broccoli soup instead of condensed Cream of Broccoli.  It's organic and comes in a carton.
  • I used vegan mayo.
  • I used almond milk instead of regular milk.
  • I left out the sugar. 
  • I didn't cook the broccoli.  I bought a box of frozen chopped broccoli and dumped it in with the hot cooked Quinoa. It cooks as the casserole is baking.
  • I did not put Parmesan on top.
Some changes I might make in the future:
  •  Possibly use vegan cheese.
  • Add a 1/4 cup of chopped onion and 1/4 cup of chopped celery.
  • Add crushed crackers on top.
I hope you'll give this a try! I love Quinoa and it's so easy to cook!
Check out some of the health benefits of Quinoa.

Jessica

No comments: