Saturday, July 21, 2012

Product Review: Environne




Every time I'm in Trader Joe's, I see bottles of fruit and vegetable wash sitting in the produce section.  I think, "Hmmm...I should buy that, but it's $4.00.  I can use lemon juice."  But, I never do use lemon juice.  I just give my fruits and vegetables a rinse with water.

Well, today I saw the bottles of Environne Fruit and Vegetable Wash again, and decided to try it.  I bought a 16 oz. bottle for $4.00.  You mix one tablespoon of it with 4 cups of water, and that cleans up to 10 lbs. of produce. You just swish your produce around in the solution for 30 seconds and rinse.

As I was swishing my fruit around in the water, I could actually feel the waxiness change to the slightly bumpy natural feel of the fruit's skin. After I finished washing all of my fruits and vegetables, I realized that the clear solution I had been washing them in had become murky! I was shocked!  I called my husband in the kitchen, "Come look at this!"  I left the fruit on the counter to dry, and awhile later my husband said, "Wow, the fruit feels a lot different."

That really got me thinking about how much wax, pesticides, and chemicals we are putting into our bodies.  Definitely a wake-up call.  From now on, I will be taking the extra time to wash my produce.  No more rinsing with water.

I would love to know your thoughts on this! Do you use anything besides water to clean your produce?


2 comments:

The Blue Faerie said...

I just saw a bottle of this yesterday in a kitchen store and wondered why anyone would need this (I just use water.). But you bring up a good point about all the extra chemicals that go into making our food look the way it does. Now I'm wondering what the difference in the water would be between a store-bought veggie/fruit and an organic farmer's market one. You've got me itching to do an experiment. :)

Jessica said...

Thanks for your comment! I would love to know what you find out!