Monday, July 16, 2012

Lasagna Al Dainty

These lasagna "muffins" are oh-so-cute. They're called muffins because they're baked in muffin cups and take on the shape of muffins.  But, my funny husband calls them "Lasagna Al Dainty." They are very delicate and charming, after all. ;)

I'll go through how I made them, step-by-step. I wish I had an exact recipe to give you, but I don't.  They're super easy to make!




Step 1: After boiling your WHOLE WHEAT (Come on guys, they're good for you!) lasagna noodles, use a round cookie cutter to cut 12 circles out of some your noodles.

Step 2: Place a lasagna circle in the bottom of each greased muffin cup.

Step 3. Cut lasagna noodles in half lengthwise, and make "cups" with your noodles by lining the inside of the muffin cups.

Step 4: Saute some frozen chopped broccoli, chopped zucchini, chopped onions, and chopped green peppers in olive oil.  I seasoned them VERY generously with Italian spices, salt, and pepper, in addition to chopped basil and oregano from my garden.


Step 5: Fill the lasagna cups, by alternately layering the marinara (pre-made in a jar), vegetables, little pieces off noodles, and mozzarella cheese.  You want your layers to end with a topping of cheese.

Step 6: Loosely cover your pan with aluminum foil, so your noodles don't burn. Bake on 350.  Once the cheese melts, take the aluminum foil off and let the cheese brown.

Step 7: Let cool for a few minutes in the pan before serving, so they don't fall apart.



I garnished with a little sprig of miniature basil.

You can always use a non-dairy cheese or no cheese at all (vegan). 

This is one of those meals where you can change the ingredients to make everybody happy!

Jessica

No comments: