Saturday, June 23, 2012

Cinnamon Raisin Braid

First things first! My new favorite ingredient is whole wheat pastry flour!  You've got to try it in your recipes.  You get healthy whole wheat without it being heavy.  I used it in my soft pretzels and in this bread.

Last night I had a burst of energy and the house to myself.  That's the best time for me to make a mess in the kitchen!  I was looking through a new cookbook I got at the library called, "Big Vegan," and I decided to make the Cinnamon Raisin Braid for our breakfast this weekend.


Although it took a couple of hours to make (it has to rise twice), it was really easy to make.  You can get the recipe here (free) on Google books.  Here are the substitutions I made:

Instead of whole wheat flour, I used whole wheat pastry flour.
Instead of bread machine yeast, I used fast rise yeast. (They might be the same, I'm not sure.)
I used rice milk as my non-dairy milk.
Instead of sugar, I used agave nectar.













I am such a morning person.  It's sickening to those who aren't.  It's my happiest time of day!  I was so excited to wake up this morning, have my hot tea and a slice of this bread!  I toasted it for a few minutes and spread some Earth Balance "butter" on it.  It has a nice crispy crust and is so light and flaky on the inside.  I think it's the pastry flour! 


It's so nice to have a few minutes to sit and be still after a busy week.  I hope you can find a few minutes to be still this weekend too!



"Be still and know that I am God."
Psalm 46:10
 
Jessica

P.S. I have no idea why Blogger is putting such strange spaces between my pictures!








No comments: