Friday, June 29, 2012

33 Dollars a Week

Do you think you could purchase enough healthy food for a week with just $33?  I read an article this week about author Rory Freedman, who took a $33 food stamp challenge.  According to her article, this is how much a person on food stamps in California has to spend on groceries each week.

This got me thinking...not about doing the challenge.  Eating healthy on $33 a week is totally doable for me.  But, I thought about how many times I make a list, rush out to the store and buy groceries, and forget to see what I already have at home.  Sometimes I come home with a can of beans I already have, or another stalk of celery because the one I have got pushed to the back of the fridge.

So, I decided to try to use up some of the things I have at home this week before going for my weekly grocery shopping.  Here's what I had tonight:

  • brown basmati rice with a smoky chipotle sauce that I had in the fridge.
  • sauteed bell peppers and onions (79 cents for the pepper)
  • black beans (89 cents)
  • sliced cucumber with red wine vinegar and salt & pepper (50 cents for the cucumber)






This may not have been my first choice for dinner, or the fancy new recipe I wanted to try out for my blog, but I felt completely full and satisfied after eating it.  My husband said it was the perfect combination of flavors.  And the cucumbers helped cool us down after eating the spicy rice.

What do you have in YOUR refrigerator or pantry that you could use up this week before running out to the store to buy more?


Jessica

2 comments:

alyssa said...

So happy I stumbled across you blog today! I am vegan and my very good friend in vegetarian. I decided to ask her if she wants to attack this challenge with me. I have so many reasons and inpirations for wanting to pursue this; it is exactly what I needed today and at this moment in my life! Thank you for the inpiration and feel free to give me any extra tips and pointers! I am hoping to go all the way through the end of August like this, save for both her and my birthdays ;)

Thanks again!!

Jessica said...

Thank you so much, Alyssa! I appreciate your comment! <3 I'm on facebook too. I would love to keep in touch with you there! https://www.facebook.com/littlemissveg
Best wishes on your 33 dollars a week!