We were given so many snack breaks throughout the day. And for lunch, we had delicious cheese sandwiches served on sandwich boards with a bowl of potato-leek soup!
Here's my recipe!
- 3 tablespoons Earth Balance Buttery Spread
- 3 cups sliced leeks
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 6 cups Not Chick'n Broth
- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
- Salt and pepper
In a large pot, melt 3 tablespoons of the buttery spread over low heat. Add the leeks and cook, stirring often, until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the broth and potatoes. Cover and simmer gently until the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.Remove from the heat. With a hand-held immersion blender, or in batches in a food processor, puree the soup until smooth. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Havarti is a good cheese to sprinkle on top if you want to make a vegetarian version.
*Tip: Trader Joe's sells leeks already sliced in the frozen vegetable section!
Here are pictures of some of the ingredients in the soup, so they're easier for you to find when you're shopping.
Artichoke Walnut Pesto CrostiniBy Chloe Coscarelli Serves 6 to 8
What You Need:
1 14-ounce can or jar artichoke hearts, drained
1 cup packed fresh Italian parsley
3/4 cup walnuts, toasted
3 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
1/4 cup water
1 French baguette, diagonally cut into ½-inch slices
What You Do:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a food processor, pulse artichoke hearts, parsley, walnuts, garlic, lemon juice, salt, pepper, ¼ cup oil, and water until combined.
- Place bread slices on a large baking tray and drizzle lightly with oil. Bake 5 to 8 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Spread pesto on warm or cooled crostini and transfer to a serving platter.
Soup is my absolute favorite meal! And this particular soup brings back special memories.
Hope you enjoy it!