Sunday, May 13, 2012

Finding Vegetarian Options at a Greek Festival

Vegetarians sometimes find it difficult to eat at restaurants, parties, or festivals.  But, I can usually find something to eat. My husband and I spent Mother's Day with my in-laws at our local Greek Festival.  I have been looking forward to it all week!



There were not any vegan options at this festival, that I saw.  Maybe the Yahni Beans. But, there were several vegetarian options:

Spanakopita A tasty blend of spinach and feta cheese wrapped and baked in filo pastry.

Tiropita A blend of cheese, wrapped and baked in filo pastry.

Rice Pilaf Rice prepared with a perfect blend of spices and butter 

Yahni Beans Greek-style green beans prepared with onions, tomatoes and spices 

Greek Fries Potatoes fried and seasoned to perfection with a combination of Greek spices




As you can see, it's a lot cheaper being a vegetarian. ;)


I went for the Greek Salad! It did have feta cheese on it.  If you're vegan, you can always pick it off.


It was so fun to have Greek dancing going on while we were eating.  People in the audience could even go up on stage to learn the dances.


But, the REAL reason I go to the Greek Festival every year...LOUKOUMADES! Greek donuts! The dough is deep fried, honey is poured over them, and cinnamon sprinkled on top.  I can't resist them!





Loukoumades Mouth-watering, hot honey sweet fritters, deep fried in front of you, served piping hot


And to top it all off, my father-in-law bought me some Baklava! 

Baklava Nuts, butter & sweet spices baked in layers of Greek filo & topped with syrup

Needless to say, I'm in a sugar coma. But, sometimes it's okay to splurge! What kinds of vegetarian/vegan options have YOU found at festivals?

Opa!

Jessica

No comments: