Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Gone Bananas!

I have seen these chocolate covered frozen banana slices in Trader Joe's. They're $2.00 a box and the box is so light, it feels like there might be 10 slices in there.

Photo from a blog called "What's Good at Trader Joe's?"
I am always tempted to buy them.  And then I think, "I can make them myself!" And I did! Only, I put peanut butter inside of mine.

First I sliced 4 bananas into 1/2 inch slices.  This is enough to cover one cookie sheet. I lined the cookie sheet with waxed paper.  I put about a teaspoon of peanut butter on each slice and put them in the freezer.  All natural peanut butter is a little runnier than others, so I wanted it to be frozen before dipping them in chocolate. Otherwise, I would have had a mess!



Next, I melted about a half a pound of dark chocolate (You can use chocolate chips.) with soy creamer in the microwave.  I would have used a non-dairy milk (soy/rice/almond), but my carton of rice milk had mold growing in it!  The soy creamer worked!  I just added a couple of tablespoons of creamer at a time, until it reached a thin enough consistency for dipping the bananas.  You don't want it to be thick like a ganache frosting. I use dark chocolate because it doesn't have milk fat like milk chocolate does, and I wanted them to be vegan.  Check your labels.


Finally, I put the cookie sheet with chocolate covered bananas in the freezer.  Once they're frozen, I'll transfer them into a container.  I think next time, I'll sprinkle the tops of the bananas with chopped peanuts!

I had some chocolate left over, so I decided to dip some strawberries and put in the refrigerator for dessert tonight!



This is a great way to save money, and a lot healthier than eating candy. What are some of your other favorite chocolate covered snacks?

Jessica


No comments: