Tuesday, May 1, 2012

"Fancy" Personal Thin Crust Pizzas

Everyone loves pizza, right? This is my version of a pizza that I saw on another blog. It looks so pretty and fancy, but it's really easy to make. I made a vegan pizza (no cheese) for me and a vegetarian pizza (with cheese) for my husband.  Although, he wishes it had meat, I'm sure!

All you have to do is make your crust, sauce it with pesto, bake for 10 minutes on 425, and top with arugula and diced tomatoes tossed in a balsamic vinaigrette.  You can purchase arugula in a bag at Trader Joes and toss it in a pre-made balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing.  I happened to have a fig balsamic vinegar that was a gift.  I mixed it with a little olive oil to toss my greens and tomatoes.







Here is the exact recipe for the crust from the blog I read:

Whole Wheat Thin Crust Pizza
Makes 2  8-inch pizzas

1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 teaspoon rapid acting yeast
1/4 teaspoon agave
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/4 - 1/2 cup warm water
extra flour for kneading the dough

1.In the work bowl of a food processor fitted with the blade, combine flour, yeast, agave, salt, and olive oil. Begin running the food processor, and add water 1 tablespoon at a time until dough forms into a ball. You’ll know when you’ve added enough water, as the dough really does form into a softball sized ball and rolls around in the processor.
2.On a floured surface, knead dough for about 10 minutes. Place in a mixing bowl, oil the outside of the dough, cover with a damp cloth, and let sit for at least 10 minutes.
3.Divide dough in half, and roll out each portion very thin, about 1/8 -1/4 inch thick. At this point the dough is ready to be sauced and topped. 


 This is my recipe for a (vegan) pesto sauce:
Makes 1 cup--enough for two personal pizzas.

 2 cups packed basil leaves
1/4 cup toasted walnuts
3 tablespoons of olive oil
2 tablespoons water
1 clove garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Vegetarian option: Add 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese.

 Place all of the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until smooth.


I love having dinner with my friends, especially right in the middle of the week! I hope you can impress your friends with these easy personal pizzas.  They're so delicious!  Don't forget-- these recipes only make enough for two!

Jessica



No comments: