Saturday, April 28, 2012

Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies

It's cold and rainy, so I thought I'd make some warm chocolate chip cookies today.  I was given a cookbook, not too long ago, called "The Allergen-Free Baker's Handbook."  It's a cookbook for people with gluten, wheat, dairy, egg, soy, nut, or sesame allergies.  It was given to me because all the recipes are vegan.  I don't actually have any of these allergies.  The "Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies" recipe is the first one I've tried from the book.


I creamed my wet ingredients, and added my dry ingredients.  I looked at the "dough" and thought, "This doesn't look right." It was very dry and crumbly.  I added about a half a tablespoon of olive oil.  Still didn't look right.  I added a half a tablespoon of water.  Still crumbly.  Finally, I just started pouring water in it (don't laugh) until it became a sticky dough consistency.  This recipe uses "Ener-G" egg replacer, and it's the first time I've used it.  It's made of tapioca and potato starch and binds the dough like eggs would.  After re-reading the recipe a third time, I realized that I hadn't mixed the egg replacer with rice milk before adding it to the wet ingredients!

I posted on facebook that I would let you know if they're edible, and they are! Whew! In fact, they're perfect.  Soft and chewy on the inside with crunchy edges, and warm gooey chocolate! And the best part...absolutely no animal fat, so you can eat more than one! (I use dark chocolate chips without milk fat.)


This isn't my first cooking mistake.  What kind of silly mistakes have you made in the kitchen?

Jessica


No comments: