Friday, August 5, 2011

Vegan-ish

This summer, I decided that my husband and I would go vegan for a week.  I always have great ideas! ;)  No cooking with meat, eggs, milk, or cheese.  My husband was resistant at first...we love cheese!  But, he eventually gave in and went along with it.

Coincidentally, a documentary called "Forks Over Knives" came out in theaters during our week of vegan meals.  This movie is a comparison between health in the United States and other countries, such as China, Japan, Korea, and the Philippines, who consume considerably less animal protein than we do.
     
Did you know that our country spends 120 billions dollars per year on health care costs?  There aren't many people I know who aren't on some type of prescription medication.  Americans are suffering from obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and high blood pressure...not to mention the many different types of cancer.

"Forks Over Knives"  suggests that these diseases can be prevented and reversed by eating a plant-based, whole foods diet.  The researchers in this documentary discovered that cancer growth could be turned on or off by adjusting the level of animal protein intake.  This had a big impact on me, and apparently on my husband as well, who has given up milk.

When I go to the doctor for my yearly check-up and the nurse asks me my family history, I have to spout off, "breast cancer, ovarian cancer, pancreatic cancer, heart disease, obesity, diabetes, and high blood pressure."  It's not a good look I get from the nurse.  I am certainly not claiming any of these diseases for myself, just because they "run in my family."  At the same time, I am going to do whatever I can to prevent them.

We have taken small steps to reducing our intake of animal protein.  We have switched to soy, coconut, rice, or almond milk.  We are now mostly using Earth Balance butter.  And we typically have meat (for my husband)/cheese one or two times per week and very small amounts of it.  Before when I made pizza, I covered it in mozzarella.  Now, I just give it a sprinkling.  And we occasionally splurge when we eat at a restaurant or have dinner at someone else's house.  I guess you could say I am vegan-ish.

I have found some great dinner and dessert recipes at www.chefchloe.com.  You have got to try her Vegan Thin Mints! Her recipes are so easy!



I hope you're all enjoying the summer, and making lots of visits to your local Farmer's Market. Have I mentioned how much I love tomato sandwiches??

Lots of Love!
Jessica

No comments: