Friday, May 6, 2011

Parabens

Most of us girls spend quite a bit of time making sure we have the best looking skin, hair, and makeup. Who doesn't want voluminous hair, porcelain skin, and glossy lips? That's how they look on magazine covers, right?

Well, there's a chance this "beauty" is coming at a high price...our health. Many of these cosmetic products contain antimicrobial preservatives called parabens, which keep bacteria, fungus, and mold from growing in your favorite eyeshadow. Products containing parabens generally have a longer shelf life and are less expensive than natural products.  However, there was a study done in 2004 that found parabens in breast tumors, "intact (not changed or metabolized.)" This does not prove that parabens cause breast cancer, but it's enough evidence for me to run from them like they're the plague!

Parabens can be found in shampoo, lotion, makeup, shaving cream, deodorant, sunscreen, and in some food. As you're scanning the ingredients on the back of your bottles, beware that they don't always start with "p."  Parabens can come in the form of methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben, benzylparaben, ethylparaben, and isobutylparaben. You have to be careful because even products that claim to be "natural" sometimes contain parabens.

You've probably already pulled out your lip gloss and shampoo to investigate, haven't you?  It can be pretty overwhelming when you start spotting parabens in all your favorite products.  So, now what?  Well, I want to share some of my favorite paraben-free products with you. They probably cost a little more than regular drug-store cosmetics.  But, if you're already buying shampoo from your salon or makeup from the Dillard's counter, this might actually be a great way for you to save money! You can find these products in Ulta, Target, and even Walmart now!

Yes to Carrots is one of my favorite lines of skin care.  I love the Body Moisturizing Lotion.  It makes my skin feel so smooth.  I even use it on my face!
Here are some more of my favorite Yes to Carrots products:
Facial Towelettes to take your makeup off before bed.

Lip Butter that makes your lips feel silky smooth!
Shampoo and Conditioner also comes in cucumber and tomato! 
Burt's Bees is another one of my favorite companies.  I love their lip shimmer sticks and "Super Shiny" lip gloss.
And, I cannot wait to try their new tinted lip balm!
Even Neutrogena has recently come out with a new "Naturals" line.  I have tried the Purifying Pore Scrub and it works great without over-drying.

I hope this helps you in your quest for paraben-free products.  And remember, you don't need to look like the girl on the cover of the magazine. You're beautiful just the way you are!  She's not real anyway...


Song of Solomon 4:7
You are altogether beautiful, my love; there is no flaw in you.


Jessica

2 comments:

Cakeography said...

I read the labels on EVERYTHING! We love Yes to Carrots shampoo and conditioner. And Burt's Bees is one of my faves. I love their Radiance facial moisturizer.

Elizabeth said...

You just burst my bubble. I am afraid to look at my cosmetics and you know how I love them.