Monday, May 9, 2011

Meatless Monday

Do you think you could give up meat one day a week?  Meatless Monday is a movement that is quickly spreading across the United States.  But, believe it or not, the movement actually began during World War I, when American families were urged to cut back on meat to aid the war effort.


I know you must be thinking that it's easy for me to ask you to do this. I am a vegetarian, after all.  But, if my meat-loving husband can do it, you can too! Here are some reasons why I hope you'll give it a try:

America is fighting another kind of war...a war against chronic, preventable diseases. 70% of healthcare in the United States is spent on treating these preventable diseases. Cutting back on your intake of meat reduces your risk of cancer, heart disease, diabetes, and obesity.

Giving up meat one day a week will also reduce your carbon footprint.  The meat industry produces more greenhouse gas emissions than transportation!  In addition, you will help save water.  More water is required to care for livestock than to water crops.

Are you wondering what you'll eat? Don't worry. You can have wonderful, healthy, and filling meals without eating meat. To give you an idea, here are some pictures of one of our Meatless Monday dinners.

Meat-Free Taco Salad

 I started with some fresh vegetables, straight from my mom's garden.  I love fresh, organic vegetables- dirt, bugs (which sent me into a screaming frenzy), and all! I chopped them up into a salad (not the bugs).

 We grated some New York Extra-Sharp Cheddar and Monterey Jack.

 Made some fresh guacamole! It's easy!

We put it all together with some refried beans, black beans, tomatoes, cucumbers, black olives, salsa, and  tortilla chips.  Voila! We have a quick and easy, meat-free taco salad!

Guacamole Recipe

  • Scoop out an avacado and put it in a bowl. Mash it up with a fork.
  • Add a teaspoon of each of these: crushed garlic, chili powder, and cumin.
  • Sprinkle in some salt and pepper.  Add a squirt of lime juice. Stir together.
  • Top it off with some diced tomatoes and green onions.
So, are you going to join in on the war effort against preventable diseases? Please leave comments and let me know if you decide to go meat-free on Mondays.  I would also love for you to share some of your meat-free recipe ideas!

Happy Monday to all of you!
Jessica





1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

So funny. I sent you the bugs for a little extra protein.