Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Living Room Yoga

I just finished some morning yoga, something I hadn't done in a few weeks.  I'm not going to lie and say that it's something I do regularly or that I'm even good at it.  I'm not very flexible or coordinated, actually.  I've taken yoga in large classes, where everyone comes in their stretchy pants and is focusing on their "third eye." (Is that a practical joke?)  But, I find that the most relaxing place to do yoga is in my own living room.

Yoga, for me, is not about getting a great workout, but about taking a few moments to quiet down and rest in the presence of God.  How often do we really recognize our heartbeat, breath, and appreciate how beautifully we were created?  It is not a competition with others or a competition with yourself. It doesn't matter if you could twist into a pretzel yesterday and can barely do a forward bend today.  It doesn't matter if you're overweight, forgot to return your library books, or have piles of laundry to do later.  It's about accepting yourself and your body exactly where you are in that moment. God loves you no matter what you do, don't do, or forget to do.  Maybe when you start, all you can do is the corpse pose or the child's pose. While you're in corpse pose, rub your hands together to create heat and place your hands gently over your closed eyes.  It's so relaxing! Choose a Bible verse to meditate on while you're in your poses.

corpse pose

child's pose

Something else I have taken from yoga is the importance of good posture.  We all tend to get tired or nervous and hunch over. Roll those shoulders back and down and approach your day with confidence!  Starting your day with yoga makes you more aware of your body and helps you make good choices throughout the day...like taking the stairs instead of the elevator or eating fruit instead of candy.

I know you're busy and that finding time for yoga can be difficult.  One of my favorite dvds is "15 Minute Results Yoga with Rodney Yee and Mariel Hemingway."  You can choose between upper body, lower body, abs, and full body workouts. Perfect for beginners! And you can do it right in your own home!

Psalm 139:13-18
For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. How precious to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them! Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand. When I awake, I am still with you.

2 Corinthians 12:9
But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.

I wish you a day full of peace, restfulness, and an awareness of God's love for you!
Jessica

No comments: