Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Bon Appetit!

If you've seen the movie Julie and Julia, you know the scene where the characters Julie and Eric Powell are scarfing down bruschetta like it's nobody's business.  Not just any bruschetta...Julia Child's recipe!  Just hearing the sounds they make while devouring it makes you want to run into the kitchen and start cooking!  Julie and Julia is one of my favorite movies.  It not only inspired me to start blogging, but to start cooking more often and to try new recipes.  Here is my own personal bruschetta recipe.  It is truly delicious, just like in the movie!

Bruschetta
In a bowl, mix together equal amounts of the following, chopped:
  • fresh tomatoes
  • yellow and/or orange bell peppers
  • red onion (you might like less onion)
Next, chop up a handful of fresh basil leaves and add to the bowl.  An easy way to chop basil is to stack a few leaves at a time, roll them up, and then chop through the roll.  Much easier than chopping individual leaves. 

Finally, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt and pepper, mix, and pile it on top of some fresh baguette slices that you've toasted in a frying pan with olive oil.  My mouth is watering just thinking about it!

People often ask me what I cook and where I get my recipes.  The Food Network web-site is a great place to search for recipes by your favorite TV chefs.  But, I want to share with you my favorite go-to cookbooks.

The first one is called Good Housekeeping Family Vegetarian Cooking. I love it because the recipes are easy to make and it contains a flexible vegetarian section for people who like meat.  Here are some links to my favorite recipes from this book:
  • Vegetable Noodle Soup p. 239 (could not find a link)

My second favorite cookbook is one that was actually handed out to me for free at Costco one day while I was shopping. It's called In the Kitchen the Costco Way. I like free!  And speaking of free, you would not believe how excited I was to find the entire cookbook online to share with you!!! Be sure to check out the Cheesy Garden Veggie Quesadilla Triangles on p. 17.  They're a little time consuming, but the Cilantro Lime Sour Cream Dipping Sauce makes it all worth it!

I hope you will enjoy these recipes. Let me know if you need ideas for substitutions. And, don't forget to try my bruschetta! 

As Julia Child would say,
     "Bon Appetit!"

           Jessica

3 comments:

Cakeography said...

I love that movie too! And bruschetta is one of our favorite things to eat!

Heather Cordasco said...

How long have you been a vegetarian?

La Vie en Vert said...

Hi Miss Heather! Thanks for reading. I have been a vegetarian since I was a child. Here's a link to my first blog explaining it. http://thelifeingreen.blogspot.com/2011/04/your-body-is-temple.html