Monday, May 16, 2011

30-Minute Meal

I'm no Rachael Ray, but I do have a 30-minute meal idea!  My sister-in-law called me to chat the other day, and shared a red lentil soup recipe with me. I made it for dinner tonight.  It was quick, simple, and delicious!

Heidi's Red Lentil Soup

Ingredients:
  • 6 cups of chicken broth ( I use "Not- Chick'n" broth.  It's better than any chicken broth I've ever had!)
  • 1 1/2 cups of red lentils ( They look orange and turn yellow when they're cooked.)
  • 1 small onion, chopped ( I also added 1/4 cup of carrots and 1/4 cup of celery, chopped)
  • 1/4 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
  • fresh or dried parsley and croutons for garnish
Put the first five ingredients in a large pot and simmer for 30 minutes.  

My sister-in-law purees these ingredients with an immersion blender to make the soup nice and creamy, and then tops it off with parsley and croutons.  I decided not to puree mine, and it reminded me of the chicken and stars soup my mom used to give me as a child when I was sick. I loved it!

While that was simmering, my husband whipped up some homemade pesto to put on roasted vegetable sandwiches.  This is my favorite pesto recipe from Eating Well.

Basic Basil Pesto

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves, (2-3 bunches)
  • 1/4 cup walnut pieces, toasted (see Tip)
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
  • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 1 large clove garlic, quartered
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

Preparation:

Place basil, walnuts, Parmigiano-Reggiano, oil, water, garlic, salt and pepper in a food processor; pulse a few times, then process until fairly smooth, or to the desired consistency, scraping down the sides occasionally.

 

Tip:

To toast walnuts: Spread on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees F, stirring occasionally, until fragrant and lightly browned, 7 to 9 minutes.

Pesto is easy to make and so handy! You can put it on chicken, pasta, white pizza, sandwiches, and so much more!





What's your favorite 30-minute meal?

Jessica



 

1 comment:

Cakeography said...

Looks delicious! I love lentils, but it's been awhile since I cooked with them. I need to give this a try!