Friday, April 29, 2011

The Daniel Fast

"Sometimes you are so hungry, the only way to be fed is to fast."
- Susan Gregory

I just finished a few days on The Daniel Fast.  Fasting is a great way to pray about specific things.  I believe God honors fasting.  It is also a great way to cleanse your body of toxins and put a stop to bad eating habits!  This particular fast is modeled after the fast of Daniel in the Bible, only food grown from seed: fruit, vegetables, whole grains, and water to drink. This fast made me realize that I am a sugar addict!  Although, I will not eat this way on a regular basis, I will be greatly decreasing my sugar intake.  I wouldn't say that I was bursting with energy on this fast, but I was definitely not fatigued and in need of my regular 3:00 nap.  I also discovered some new foods and new recipes, which I will share with you.  Each morning, I ate Muesli with strawberries and bananas.  Muesli is a blend of whole grains, which includes the bran, endosperm, and germ. There is scientific evidence that eating whole grains reduces the risk of gastrointestinal cancers. Here is a delicious recipe for a healthier version of the classic chocolate chip cookie using Muesli. You'll have to wait until after your fast to try them though, as they contain dairy and sugar. Here is another link to The Daniel Fast approved recipes.  Two of my favorites are Tuscan Villa Bean Soup and Asian Noodle Salad. If you decide to try this fast, check with your doctor first.  And, I would love to hear what you discover about your eating habits!

Daniel 1:8-15
"But Daniel resolved not to defile himself with the royal food and wine, and he asked the chief official for permission not to defile himself this way. Now God had caused the official to show favor and compassion to Daniel, but the official told Daniel, “I am afraid of my lord the king, who has assigned your food and drink. Why should he see you looking worse than the other young men your age? The king would then have my head because of you.” Daniel then said to the guard whom the chief official had appointed over Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah, “Please test your servants for ten days: Give us nothing but vegetables to eat and water to drink. Then compare our appearance with that of the young men who eat the royal food, and treat your servants in accordance with what you see.” So he agreed to this and tested them for ten days. At the end of the ten days they looked healthier and better nourished than any of the young men who ate the royal food. So the guard took away their choice food and the wine they were to drink and gave them vegetables instead."

Happy Fasting!
Jessica

No comments: